Haven Forums

Full Version: Dead Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Yo, Silver, let me get the contact information for your dealer 'cause I want some of whatever you're smoking.

Silver Wrote:Please, keep telling yourself that deleting everyone's hard work

What hard work is being deleted? The (probably shitty) story running they did to get the karma they needed to juice up their raging e-peen is done. It happened. There's no retroactively deleting it. Can you clarify, here? Are you just unilaterally opposed to pwipes in general or are you opposed to using pwipes as an e-peen machete with which to keep the playerbase in line?

Silver Wrote:as opposed to fixing the balance issues

Awful progressionists slamming out the karma to play big e-peen swinging baddies with mediocre to awful storytelling isn't a balance issue, it's the opportunity cost of opting for an objective gating mechanism rather than leaving it up to staff to decide who's qualified to play what without being a turd.

Silver Wrote:I just don't think they should be trying to justify a wipe every time they change two lines of code which moves a variable on a pfile by two spaces and changes the name of a flag.

The fuck are you talking about? We've had reboots what, every 2-3 years? With 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0 all having been incredibly substantive overhauls of the game? This is the first reboot that's been done to effect minor changes, and the first time where I would hazard that the choice to pwipe had more to do with a fresh restart for the playerbase than it did with actually needing to pwipe. I'm perfectly okay with this. I don't know anybody who isn't. Did you finally cave and run some shitty stories to grind out an awful T3 just before 3.0 ended, or something, Silver?

I mean, you know. Staff could pwipe the game right now and reboot it with no changes whatsoever, and it would probably be more fun to play than it is currently, and would have higher traffic for the next couple of months at least.

Silver Wrote:This is the DMZ. Me ignoring your opinions and assuming mine are always right is just part of the environment.

Maybe if you're some kind of insipid gorilla whose raison d'être, at least insofar as the forums are concerned, is griping about 1) the fact that people have to pretend like they're passably, marginally competent storyrunners who care about creating fun for other players for a few hours to inflate their e-peen before they stop caring and go back to the status quo of e-peen banditry, and 2) that once somebody's caved to the oppressive karma system that's been stifling the creative juices of people who are too good to even go to the effort of pretending to care about story and other people and SR, they could very well lose all of that hard work to a pwipe two years later.

Like, you've gone from bitching about karma, to bitching about pwipes, what am I supposed to think you're actually bitching about here? If some of the turds that have ground out karma for awful high tier PCs have been able to manage, I'm sure you can. And if you can't see how maybe a pwipe helps the game or makes it feel fresh, what are we supposed to think other than that you're obsessively fixated on the size of your own e-peen?
I for one am looking forward to a pwipe. I'll get to fix a lot of mistakes.

Still playing though. I thought the game was dead, now it's not quite so dire.
[Image: TF7nqw7.jpg]

Kestrel

Haven 5.0: Mist and E-peen bandits

Cliffracer

(03-15-2018, 08:40 AM)Kestrel Wrote: [ -> ]Haven 5.0: Mist and E-peen bandits

Is this a bandit that steals E-peens, an E-peen practicing banditry, both, or neither?
(03-15-2018, 06:07 AM)Crayon Wrote: [ -> ]A bunch of stuff

Silver's on some Alex Jones Infowars level of shit. WAKE UP SHEEPLE.

Quote:Why is every game with vampires and/or werewolves compared to World of Darkness? It's almost worth leaving out vampires (it's definitely worth leaving out werewolves) just to avoid this superficial badness. This is a warning to any would be game creators out there. Don't put vampires or werewolves in your games. White Wolf doesn't even need copyrights. The fans are bad enough.

Inferno was about demons invading Earth.
Haven is about gateways to other worlds.
World of Darkness is about wearing plastic teeth and being angsty.

I don't compare every games with werewolves and vampires to WoD. But Inferno came off as a literal Mage/Werewolf/Vampire ripoff. I'm not even that big of a fan of WoD (aside from some specific books). Haven doesn't really come off as too WoDnessy, except when the players make it that way, and aside from maybe some of the Fae stuff.

Edited to add:

Inferno came off as World of Darknessy, because you had like... Werewolves, Mages, Vampires, and Mundane Fascists. That hated each other and fought. And also fought demons or w/e that were from some other dimension. Not JUST because of the Werewolves and Vampires.
(03-13-2018, 08:51 PM)Acheron Wrote: [ -> ]I mean Haven's been 'dying' for at least three years, I'm not sure it's terribly newsworthy. All games hit a peak early on and then slowly lose players, temporarily reversed by new expansion packs or in Haven's case, reboots.

Within that you have peaks and troughs, so recently for instance drama caused a few people to meh out and play less, and a few other people also stopped playing or started playing less for unrelated reasons, which has a knock on effect since if the people you aren't RPing with aren't around, you're less likely to stick around etc, so you get a slump.

It's not really a great mystery, it'll either pick back up or it'll become the new baseline. Fundamentally nothing changes though, you play the game if it's fun, you don't play it if it isn't.

Again with the wholesale disagreement with any and every complaint ever voiced. You're not doing the game any favors with this.

No, Haven has not been dying for three years. It has been remarkably stable up until quite recently when a significant amount of players called it quits after their complaints fell on deaf ears for too long. 4.0 has brought a slew of by now well-documented issues and you seem vehemently determined not to acknowledge any of them. That's on you. 4.0 is widely held as the worst chapter of Haven, and you're too protective of it to instill any hope that things will improve. That makes you the root problem.
(03-15-2018, 08:42 AM)Sanni Wrote: [ -> ]Silver's on some Alex Jones Infowars level of shit. WAKE UP SHEEPLE.

Quote:In other news, games with vampires and/or werewolves are often compared to World of Darkness because it's done well, and right. It's a simple system, which works very well in a MUD format, and has been honored by many for longer than you've probably even played MUDs.

Wow! Posting for the sole purpose of saying you are completely and utterly full of shit.

1) WoD is used mostly for MUSHes and MUXes. There are two 'active' WoD MUDs. One is a God Wars hack and slash. The other is Diku. Neither uses White Wolf's system.
 2) WoD is not a simple system and it translates REALLY poorly to a persistent online environment. It is DM reliant.
 3) WoD is not a simple system and it translates REALLY poorly to a persistent online environment. It is DM reliant.
 4) WoD is not a simple system and it translates REALLY poorly to a persistent online environment. It is DM reliant.
 5) WoD is not a simple system and it translates REALLY poorly to a persistent online environment. It is DM reliant.
 6) WoD is not a simple system and it translates REALLY poorly to a persistent online environment. It is DM reliant.
 7) WoD is not a simple system and it translates REALLY poorly to a persistent online environment. It is DM reliant.
 8) WoD is not a simple system and it translates REALLY poorly to a persistent online environment. It is DM reliant.
 9) WoD is not a simple system and it translates REALLY poorly to a persistent online environment. It is DM reliant.
10) WoD is not a simple system and it translates REALLY poorly to a persistent online environment. It is DM reliant.

The only reason WoD has so many MUSHes running around is because it is readily available and easy to set up. It requires zero coding after that because the readily available shell expects everyone to have access to whatever books they're using. They're popular because modern day supernatural settings are fun. That's the entire draw of Haven.

like wat
OldFrightful Wrote:is not a simple system and it translates REALLY poorly to a persistent online environment. It is DM reliant.

Sounds familiar.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10